TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Is it Possible to Buy a Cell Phone With no Plan?

Re: Is it Possible to Buy a Cell Phone With no Plan?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:35:07 -0700

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:12:49 GMT, John McHarry <jmcharry@comcast.net>
wrote:

> The other problem is that most countries use GSM, which uses
> frequencies that differ from the "GSM" used by some carriers in the
> US.

From *some* carriers in the US? All carriers in the US use either
1900 Mhz "PCS" or 800/850 Mhz "cellular" frequencies. Most of the
rest of the world except for the Americas uses 900 and 1800 Mhz (with
a very few minor exceptions in South America [Venezuela] and Cuba.)

> I think the US protocol is also somewhat bastardized. Be sure you
> get a phone that is intended to roam in the country you intend to send
> it to.

And what is *that* supposed to mean? GSM is GSM and the
specifications are the same no matter where it's used.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Bell Divestiture"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Is it Possible to Buy a Cell Phone With no Plan?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page