TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company

Re: Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:22:33 -0400

In article <telecom24.278.12@telecom-digest.org>, dcstar@myrealbox.com
says:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:41:11 -0500, Lisa Minter wrote:

>> The thief could even access PCs that require a log-in username/password
>> by using a boot CD, a specially-crafted CD that sidesteps log-in
>> authentication, said Usher.

> Only on the assumption that data is actually on the hard drive, most
> major organisations that I know of prohibit storage of any data on a
> local hard drive and have it all on more secure network storage.

> If they leave data on a local hard drive, and don't lock out booting
> from a CD or Floppy (and having the BIOS password protected), then
> more fool them.

BIOS passwords are only as good as that little CR-2032 lithium
battery. Remove or short the battery and kiss passwords goodbye.

>> Gartner's 2004 advice would block pod slurping, added Usher, if
>> enterprises adopted the research firm's recommendations to lock down
>> desktops by disabling USB functionality or Windows' Universal Plug and
>> Play.

> And stopping booting another OS to bypass that disabling, otherwise it
> could be a waste of time.

As I showed above, you could remove/short the battery and then boot up
Knoppix and copy files to CD-R, USB memory key, etc.

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Monitor/Recorder for Residential Power Line Outages?"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: 700-555-4141 Does Not Work"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company"