TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company

Re: Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company

David Clayton (dcstar@myrealbox.com)
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:44:48 +1000

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:41:11 -0500, Lisa Minter wrote:

> The thief could even access PCs that require a log-in username/password
> by using a boot CD, a specially-crafted CD that sidesteps log-in
> authentication, said Usher.

Only on the assumption that data is actually on the hard drive, most
major organisations that I know of prohibit storage of any data on a
local hard drive and have it all on more secure network storage.

If they leave data on a local hard drive, and don't lock out booting
from a CD or Floppy (and having the BIOS password protected), then
more fool them.

> Gartner's 2004 advice would block pod slurping, added Usher, if
> enterprises adopted the research firm's recommendations to lock down
> desktops by disabling USB functionality or Windows' Universal Plug and
> Play.

And stopping booting another OS to bypass that disabling, otherwise it
could be a waste of time.

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
(Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have,
intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Go to Next message: Choreboy: "Re: DSL Speed"
Go to Previous message: Fred R. Goldstein: "Re: Bell Divestiture"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Pod Slurping Dangerous to Your Company"