TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sprint, Verizon Opening Doors to Mobile Content

Re: Sprint, Verizon Opening Doors to Mobile Content

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:05:29 -0700

Lisa Minter wrote:

> Sprint and Verizon Wireless may soon lower the walls on their
> networks, allowing their subscribers greater access to third-party
> content, including ringtones and graphics.

> Sprint and Verizon, however, have taken a "walled garden" approach,
> restricting content to that offered directly through their own
> delivery portals.

This is so incorrect it's outrageous. It's true of Verizon, but unless
Sprint's drastically changed things in the past six months, it's
nowhere near true of Sprint. Sprint has, in the past, allowed me to
download *my own Java apps* to *my own phone* from *my own website.*
I've used other third-party websites to facilitate downloading content
too. And in the case of my own website, I'm registered as a developer
with Sprint PCS, but have not added the website with my app on it, and
I'm not an officially-approved Sprint content provider.

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Go to Next message: LAalone@aol.com: "Re: 700-555-4141 Does Not Work"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Monitor/Recorder for Residential Power Line Outages?"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Sprint, Verizon Opening Doors to Mobile Content"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page