TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Worst Phishing Fraud Attack Ever! 40 Million Cards Affected

Re: Worst Phishing Fraud Attack Ever! 40 Million Cards Affected

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:07:18 -0700

jared wrote:

> The problem with this article's title is that it was not a phishing
> attack.

> Note that the article says virus-like, the following is an excerpt
> from an article attributed to the LA Times. Reportedly someone planted
> a harvesting programme which is virus like in the sense that it
> operates stealthily but may not be like a virus in how it propagates.

The report seems to indicate it was a trojan, not a phish attempt,
actually.

But I misread - CardSystems DOES process for merchants as well as
financial institutions.

My statement still stands, however, since it'd be tough to find out
who does the processing for any given merchant. Often, the merchant
won't even know because it's not important to them as long as the
payments get processed. Being someone who's worked with e-commerce
systems that are only compatible with certain processing platforms, I
often have to know, but I'm not Joe Average, of Uncle Joe's Gift Shop,
who only needs to swipe cards and have the payments go through...

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Worst Phishing Fraud Attack Ever! 40 Million Cards Affected"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "MasterCard Says 40 Million Files Put at Risk"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page