TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellular Phone Spam

Re: Cellular Phone Spam

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:31:42 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2005, John Levine wrote:

>> If they won't credit you, tell them that you want to close your cell
>> phone account immediately.

> Good idea. I'll try that next time.

Good luck.

AFAIK, Verizon credits the victims of SMS spam automatically.

>> I immediately closed it, and told them the reason why. There's some
>> hole through which spammers are able to collect Hotmail addresses.

> No, they just blast spam a billion randomly generated addresses every day.

I know that's the case for "mrc", but I think that it's rather
unlikely that they could have randomly guessed my late unlamented
Hotmail userid. It would have required trillions, not billions.

Also, a blast-spam of one billion requires a sustained rate of 12,000
spams/second.

Mark

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Go to Next message: jared: "Re: Cellular Phone Spam"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Cellular Phone Spam"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Cellular Phone Spam"