TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?

Re: 'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?

mc (mc_no_spam@uga.edu)
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:38:14 -0400

<jg@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I believe my 'voice line' is being tapped [the line feeds through the
> 'opponents' switchboard].

> How difficult is it for them to 'decode' my modem [to ISP] traffic ?
> I'm guessing/hoping that my modem has to 'synchronise' with the ISP's
> in analog mode, so it's difficult for a '3rd' party to listen ?

I'm not sure about current modems. With early modem technology (1200
baud and below), eavesdropping was easy.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: 'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?"
Go to Previous message: phil: "Access Personal Contacts, Notes, Through Text Messaging"
May be in reply to: jg@earthlink.net: "'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?"