TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
8 Jun 2005 10:40:44 -0400

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> Gary Novosielski <gpn@suespammers.org> wrote:

>> Fred Atkinson wrote:

>>> Sorry to come down on you this hard, but limiting student access to
>>> information simply because we think they don't 'need' access to it is
>>> a pretty short sighted opinion for an educator to take.

>> You're presuming that it's educators who are in favor of blocking
>> technology, but I think that's jumping to an unsupported conclusion.

> As both an educator and a student, I am, in fact, in favor of
> "blocking technology". The last thing I need is students distracted
> by more crap on their laptops while I'm lecturing -- and the last
> thing I need, as a student, is more distraction. I'm always happy, in
> either role. when I walk into a classroom, turn on my laptop, and
> discover that there is no wireless network connectivity in that
> particular room.

That is a different thing altogether. That is not a matter of
regulating what the student can look at on the net, but when the
student can look at it. THAT is absolutely essential to do if you
allow students to use laptops in class at all (which I would strongly
discourage, personally).

--scott

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
Go to Previous message: AES: "SBC New Low Price"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"