TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Wesrock@aol.com
Tue, 31 May 2005 20:19:29 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 31 May 2005 13:10:19 UTC, Pat writes:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Right you are, I do not have any prize
> for you, however. The AT&SF railroad _originally_ ran between
> Atichson, Kansas, through Topeka, Kansas and southwestward on to Santa
> Fe, New Mexico. Then, as Chicago became the railroad capitol of
> America (start of 20th century) the AT&SF continued pushing eastward,
> making its new terminus at Dearborn Station in Chicago, and relocating
> its headquarters in the 'Santa Fe Building' at Jackson Blvd. and
> Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. I hear your question now: ...

Many of the headquarters functions remained in Topeka.

The Ottawa cut-off took Topeka off the main line. Even before that,
the line from Atchison to Topeka was of much reduced importance, and
the railroad had been extended to Kansas City. The Santa Fe,
originally a Kansas promotion, did not terminate in Santa Fe and but
built on to Albuquerque and Los Angeles. Santa Fe was served by a
branch line.

The reason the Santa Fe's line between Kansas City and Chicago is the
lowest-mileage route and the most nearly direct is because it was
built as a line to connect Kansas City and the rest of the system with
Chicago, not especially to serve local points between.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
Go to Previous message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page