TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! 86 Year Old Woman Taken to Jail Account of 911 Call

Re: Last Laugh! 86 Year Old Woman Taken to Jail Account of 911 Call

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Mon, 30 May 2005 02:35:10 GMT

On Sun, 29 May 2005 04:55:25 -0700, Tim wrote:

> Sounds a bit like Nazi Germany.

> Patrick Townson wrote:

>> Woman Calls 911 With Pizza Complaint

>> An 86-year-old woman was jailed after police said she called 911
>> dispatchers 20 times in a little more than a half-hour -- all to
>> complain that a pizza parlor wouldn't deliver.

>> Dorothy X was charged with misusing the 911 system, a jail
>> spokeswoman said.

Well, some 911 protocols require a response to each call. This sort of
thing burns resources and can endanger others, or even the caller
herself, if they finally ignore her.

I had a relative who took to doing about the same thing. The sheriff
put up with it for a time, then finally grabbed him, for something
else actually, but he got the care he needed.

What I find offensive about the whole story is that the news media
thought it a fine thing to spray her name all over the country. For
all I know, she may have been a pillar of the community until she made
the understandable mistake of trying to live too long on her own. It
is a shame to humiliate her so.

That is assuming, of course, that they find, by now have found, a
proper placement for her and drop the charges. I hope she also got her
pizza.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Last Laugh! 86 Year Old Woman Taken to Jail Account of 911 Call"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Last Laugh! 86 Year Old Woman Taken to Jail Account of 911 Call"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Last Laugh! 86 Year Old Woman Taken to Jail Account of 911 Call"