TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 Hz power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Re: 25 Hz power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 29 May 2005 20:01:48 EDT

In a message dated Sat, 28 May 2005 09:37:57 -0000,
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

>> When did they deliver AC at 25 cycles? I do recall some 50 cycle
>> companies around that had to change after the end of WWII.

> I don't know when the last 25-cycle power was phased out. Keokuk, Iowa,
> had a 25-cycle hydroelectric plant -- driven by the Mississippi River,

Doesn't Amtrak still have some 25 Hz power plants from its predecessor
lines in the Northeast Corridor? Some locations have been converted
to commercial power, some of them still owned and operated by Amtrak
still provide 25 Hz.

Their electric locomovies are designed to run on either frequency and
within a certain range of voltages (24,000 and higher) to accomodate
the variations in the power supplied by commerical power in different
sections and also those sections served by their legacy power plants.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Julian Thomas: "Re: First Place, Web Promotion, Unsolicited Calls?"
Go to Previous message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "How is Your Holiday? Mine Sort of Bittersweet"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page