TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

John C. Fowler (johnfpublic@yahoo.com)
Mon, 23 May 2005 15:51:15 PDT

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As Robert knows, those four
> additional touch tone keys were known as A,B,C, and D. I forget the
> exact meaning of each, but my question is, did anyone with 'regular'
> service but with an Autovon phone ever try pressing those keys in
> a regular call? I did a couple times, and the immediate result was
> a 'fast busy' signal; the call would not complete. PAT]

Way back in TELECOM Digest Volume 12 Issues 627 and 628 (and a couple
of others in the vicinity), several readers commented on what the
A/B/C/D tones did on their various telephone lines. The only reason I
remember is that I was one of the ones who commented. The general
consensus was, it depends on your switch. In my case, a friend and I
had found that, on our switch, after activating three-way calling and
getting a dial tone, pressing C immediately terminated the second dial
tone and bridged the original two parties back together again. Other
people reported a few other oddities. Nobody reported anything too
mind-blowing (didn't reach anyone who answered the phone,
'Yes, Mister President!' or the like).

John C. Fowler, johnfpublic@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I wonder if I should hunt down those
two issues from the archives (off hand, sounds like 1993 or 1994) and
print them again ....? PAT]

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"