TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
23 May 2005 07:34:47 -0700

Robert Bonomi wrote:

> Autovon used "standard" Touch-tone phones. Ones with *all* the
> buttons, including the 4th column of 4.

It wasn't that way at my father's installation, an army arsenal
and research center.

[BTW, a "standard" Touch-Tone phones does not have the fourth column.
Further, plenty of Touch Tone phones introduced in the early years had
only 10 buttons, not 12. We had such a set at home.]

Anyway, my father's installation was all rotary dial served by a cord
switchboard dial (SxS) PBX accomodating several thousand extensions.

The Autovon lines came in on trunks that were no different than the
city trunks and were handled the same way. There were no special
signals for priority calls or ways for priority handling. As
mentioned, telephones were plain rotary.

To reach Autovon they dialed 8 then the Autovon number. For their
purposes, Autovon was merely a switching tie network to other govt
installations.

All incoming calls went through the PBX where the operators connected
it to the desired extension. Because of the high volume of
extensions, an extension itself didn't have an appearance, rather a
dial trunk did. That is, if you wanted extension 7182, the operator
plugged in the 7 row and dialed 182. I've seen other cord
switchboards serving very large PBX set up in a similar fashion.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Tie Lines (was Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"
Go to Previous message: Koos van den Hout: "Re: Forward Fax to Email"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"