TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out

Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out

DevilsPGD (spamsucks@crazyhat.net)
Wed, 18 May 2005 21:55:27 -0600

In message <telecom24.221.14@telecom-digest.org> AES
<siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.220.11@telecom-digest.org>, Dean
> M. <cjmebox-telecomdigest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Maybe for now we should only mandate that anyone who dials 911 from
>> a VoIP phone [which does not provide 911 service] should be given
>> an announement to the effect "use your cell phone to make this call!".

> Not a bad idea ...

Vonage already does this -- If you don't have 911 enabled in your
account you get a message that says something like "Stop! You cannot
use this phone to dial 911. Please hang up and use another phone"

Which isn't technically true, I just did use the phone to dial 911, it
just didn't get me through to anybody who can help.

In message <telecom24.221.15@telecom-digest.org>
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

> This solution is *exactly* what PBX admins have to do when they move
> hard-wired phones behind their PBX. It is in real-world use today.
> It works.

> If you want to be your own phone service provider, there are
> responsibilities that go along with that task.

> Doing VoIP *does* mean that you are the 'last mile' phone service
> provider -- The VoIP provider is providing the 'port' on the switch,
> at their premises. It is *your* responsibility to provide the
> connection to that point.

And therein lies the problem. People are afraid of taking
responsibility for their own actions, and they need someone to blame
when life doesn't work out the way they planned.

Blaming the VoIP carrier because they forgot to inform the carrier
when they moved is a perfect example.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+"
Go to Previous message: Dean M.: "Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out"