TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: GSM Roaming

GSM Roaming

Graham Gower (graham.gower@gmail.com)
12 May 2005 20:31:01 -0700

Do switching centres lookup a person's phone in the local VLR before
searching for its HLR?

e.g., If my friend from Sydney calls me when I get off the plane
(at Sydney airport), does the switching centre realise that I'm
already connected to the local VLR, or will it try to find me
via my HLR instead?

Would this happen often enough for it to be a worthwhile optimisation?

Graham

Go to Next message: Steve: "AT&T - Cingular - Alltel; They Broke MY Contract!"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "FAQ: How Real ID Will Affect You"
May be reply: {{{{{Welcome}}}}}: "Re: GSM Roaming"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page