TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Ameritech Book Review (Thank You)

Ameritech Book Review (Thank You)

Brian_Coffey@nps.gov
Fri, 6 May 2005 16:25:48 -0400

Thanks for the nice review of our "Snapshots in Time." When I was
hired as an intern by Bill Cauglin to catalog the Ohio Bell
collection, it seemed both sad and crazy that those picture might be
doomed to sit on shelves. The prototype for that book were simple
3-ring binders with copies of photos and some captions. We took the
Illinois binder to the State Fair and sent one to the Ohio Ameritech
office. I feel so happy that we were able to use those photos for
something educational, and, we hope for the old "Bell Heads,"
something inspirational.

I later presented a paper "From Princess to Coquette: The Role of the
Telephone in The American Home," at the American Poplular Culture
Conference. It was about how AT&T used a propaganda blitz to convince
people to get a second phone, and the eventual demise of the Dreyfuss
designs and the last gasp of design that gave us the "Design Line."

Thanks again.

BRIAN F. COFFEY
LCS COORDINATOR
SERO/CRD
404-562-3117 EXT. 642

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As I mentioned to you in private email,
you are quite welcome. And it appears nothing has been said about that
book for several months, so a refresher review might be in order: