TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Here's how Vonage-Verizon E-911 Will Work

Re: Here's how Vonage-Verizon E-911 Will Work

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Thu, 05 May 2005 20:56:09 -0400

In article <telecom24.198.14@telecom-digest.org>, Justin Time
<a_user2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> While the process documented mirrors the process for traditional
> landline phones, it doesn't address what happens when the VoIP user
> takes their phone someplace else and then calls 9-1-1. Which center
> is called? The one for their home of record or the one serving the
> hotel/motel/grandma's house?

There's been a long thread this week on the NANOG (North American
Network Operators Group) mailing list regarding the technology that
would be needed to get this right.

Until that technology is developed, I'd expect it to be based on the
location that the customer provided when they registered.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Here's how Vonage-Verizon E-911 Will Work"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: A Plan to Offshore ... Just 3 Miles Out"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Here's how Vonage-Verizon E-911 Will Work"