TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Connecticut Suing VoIP Provider Vonage Over Disclosure

Connecticut Suing VoIP Provider Vonage Over Disclosure

Jack Decker (jack-yahoogroups@wthheld_on_request)
Wed, 04 May 2005 13:46:29 -0400

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/news/12400AVS07L4.xhtml

By John M. Moran
The Hartford Courant

Because Vonage does not route its 911 calls through the system used
for traditional wireline telephones, consumers placing such calls
might get sent to a non-emergency number or even a recorded message
instead of a live dispatcher, said Connecticut Attorney General
Richard [.....] Vonage spokeswoman Brooke Schulz said the company
disagreed that consumers were not fully informed about how Vonage's
911 service works, although Vonage remains "open to suggestions" for
improving its disclosure.

Working Toward Agreement

But she said the real problem is that Vonage has not yet been able to
negotiate an agreement with SBC Communications, the dominant wireline
phone company for most of Connecticut, for access to its 911 network.

Howard Riefs, an SBC spokesman, said talks between SBC and Vonage
about 911 are ongoing. "We've been meeting over the last few weeks on
this issue, and we're hopeful that we'll be able to reach agreement,"
he said.

Late Tuesday, Vonage said it had reached an agreement with Verizon for
access to its 911 network, allowing emergency personnel to receive
calls from Vonage customers directly, along with related information,
such as location and call-back number.

Full story at:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/news/12400AVS07L4.xhtml