TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online

Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online

Lisa Minter ((no email))
30 Apr 2005 18:43:17 -0700

Very few prisons/jails allow inmates any use of computers at all
because the authorities assume the prisoners will use them for
no good. Why, who knows, they may even use web sites to try and
drum up sympathy for their cause.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050501/ap_on_hi_te/internet_inmates

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would like to know one thing about
prison phone systems, which are notoriously rip-off systems. The
prison authorities _claim_ the recipients of phone calls from
prisoners are not allowed to use _call transfer_ or _call forwarding_
or _three way calling_ on calls from prisoners. I guess that is
because the end result -- the person with whom the prisoner wound
up conversing with -- would possibly not be on the 'approved' list
at the prison. Does the prison phone system have the technical
capability to restrict the called party's phone in that way? For
example, I forward my phone somewhere, then you, in prison, call me
as we agreed on. Or, you call me from the prison, I flash the
hook and bring someone else on the line with me. The prison says
in their literature that is impossible. Is it really? PAT]

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Verizon Pulling Plug on Free NYC Wi-Fi"
Go to Previous message: jason@cyberpine.com: "Cell Phone Triangulation Data - Calculating Location Distances"
May be reply: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"
May be reply: noone@nowhere.com: "Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page