TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: VOIP: 911 - Vonage vs Time-Warner Roadrunner

VOIP: 911 - Vonage vs Time-Warner Roadrunner

rodneyg@carolina.rr.com
28 Apr 2005 09:13:24 -0700

In Charlotte, Time-Warner offers Digital Phone as an additional
service for their broadband customers. They claim that calling 911 on
their service goes to the true E911 center, including display of your
name and number. Unfortunately, their plan is $40 + $4 more for
voicemail. There are no low-minute plans.

I have Vonage, have activated my 911, but have not tested it (yet).
Of course, according to all Vonage literature I can find, my 911 call
from Vonage will not go to true E911, and will not include my name,
address, and phone.

Is it true/possible that Time-Warner can provide true E911 service,
while Vonage can not? Who are the players (governments, phone
carriers, etc.) that are at work in this situation?

Thank you for any info you have.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Apparently, the only players in the
game who can get 'true E-911' are the telcos themselves or any of
their friends. Others have to pay for the service, and the cost was
pretty steep until recently when under pressure SBC agreed to begin
working with Vonage and other VOIP carriers. The reason this is so
is because when 'true E-911' was being developed, telco had it built
to _their_ specifications. PAT]