TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can You Hook Home Alarm System With Vonage Service?

Re: Can You Hook Home Alarm System With Vonage Service?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:51:17 -0400

In article <telecom24.182.5@telecom-digest.org>, lothario4real@yahoo.com
says:

> Is it possible to hook up my Vonage to the home alarm system service
> (Brinks Security)? Or do I still need to get an analog phone line from
> Southwestern Bell? Thanks.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It _should_ be possible, but bear in
> mind one thing burglars sometimes do is cut the electrical wire to
> your house; that would as a result cut off your computer's electrical
> supply, and kill your Vonage phone. Some alarm companies also have a
> method of dealing not only with a call _into_ them, but also a way of
> telling when their device has been _disconnected_ from the phone
> line. I am not sure how well that would work when using Vonage, so you
> might want to have the Brinks representative there to look at it
> also. PAT]

Two things.

1) Put a UPS in front of the Vonage router. This will provide power
when the perpetrator cuts the line, though I will say that most
thieves are too stupid to know how to cut the power these days.

2) When you set up the dial string, include the # sign at the end to
tell Vonage that you've stopped dialing and to put the call through.

Go to Next message: Ginger Holiday: "Re: Lingo (Primus Telecommunications) Horror Story"
Go to Previous message: GlowingBlueMist: "Re: Can You Hook Home Alarm System With Vonage Service?"
May be in reply to: lothario4real@yahoo.com: "Can You Hook Home Alarm System With Vonage Service?"