TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How We Made Our Own Carnivore

Re: How We Made Our Own Carnivore

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:36:37 GMT

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:21:18 -0500, Lisa Minter wrote:

> If you like what they have to say, then you can build your own
> sniffer with this program. Just download the version which goes
> with your operating system:

> http://www.rhizome.org/carnivore/

> We tried it here on Patrick's computer network and it is sitting here
> right now sniffing at his weather station stuff and some email on
> another computer.

It is fine to run a sniffer on your own lan, but larger systems, like
university lans, usually consider a promiscuous ethernet port, which
is key to sniffing, as network abuse. You are likely to get kicked
off, or worse.

For diagnostic sniffing, using Linux, I am partial to Ethereal, which
is mostly a graphic front end to tcpdump. It can be set to trace
specific protocols, which gives it very similar capabilities, although
not as user friendly.

Go to Next message: Dean: "Re: How We Made Our Own Carnivore"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Verizon/MCI"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "How We Made Our Own Carnivore"