TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AOL to Block Identity Theft Sites

Re: AOL to Block Identity Theft Sites

David B. Horvath, CCP (dhorvath@cobs.com)
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:52:49 -0400

On 21 Apr 2005 23:24:00 GMT, jmeissen@aracnet.com wrote:

> In article <telecom24.176.7@telecom-digest.org>, Ed Clarke
> <clarke@cilia.org> wrote:

>> On 2005-04-20, mc <mc_no_spam@uga.edu> wrote:

>>> In my opinion, all browsers should block or warn about references
>>> of the form:

>>> where yyyyy is a URL that does not match xxxxx.
>>> Simple - why don't they do it?

>> Virtual hosts. I have half a dozen websites on a single IP; costs my
>> customers less for web hosting. The only time it makes a difference
>> is for vanity -- reverse host maps to forward host -- or for SSL. >

> HTML link tags where the reference in the tag doesn't match the text
> associated with the tag.

> John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

I missed the original posting but most of the href's I've ever seen
are on the original form where xxxxx does not match yyyyy. For
instance: <a href="http://www.telecom-digest.org>Telecom Digest</a>
fits that pattern. And it would be very easy to make a yyyyy that
*looks* like a URL to a person but would be missed by any software --
(that's www comma ...).

- David

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: New Technology Poses 911 Peril VOIP Not Part of Emergency"
Go to Previous message: news01@jmatt.net: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
May be in reply to: T. Sean Weintz: "AOL to Block Identity Theft Sites"