TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

Paul Vader (pv+usenet@pobox.com)
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:02:41 -0000

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com writes:

>> 'authority' for specific functionalities of the greater Internet,
>> _none_ of them have any authority with regard to the 'content' of
>> packets.

> Well then, who IS responsible to do the job? If no such job
> exists, why isn't one created?

A) Why would anyone living in a free country want controls on what people
can say?
B) Do you really misunderstand the internet so badly that you think that
there's any place you COULD create controls?
C) Who says what's allowable or not? I vote for NOBODY.

The internet doesn't exist - it's just a bunch of public ways
connecting private networks. No website runs 'on the internet' - it's
a peephole into private property that you get to look into. If you
don't like what's going on inside, don't peek. *

like corkscrews.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Oh, sure as hell, Paul! And every
public highway in the world has lots of private driveways attached to
it, but there are still rules to follow in order to be on the
highway. All, that is, except the internet, where Robert will tell you
it is an 'anarchy' (when he is not patiently explaining to Lisa and
whoever else will listen to his rot) the jobs that do not belong to
the various agencies involved). Why didn't you instead claim that
Interstate 70 does not exist; its just a bunch of little towns and
small highways running through Kansas, and how we can turn our
head aside if we do not want to look?

Let me ask you this: In 1905, when automobiles were first beginning to
show up in mass numbers (on the non-highways which connected the
little towns and roads of America) were you also opposed to speed
limits, license plates -- indeed driver's licenses -- and rules which
pertain to hit and run, etc. A lot of people were, you know, seriously.
More than one person in those early days of the automobile said the
very idea of requiring license plates (so others could identify your
machine) and driver's licenses (so that society assumed you were
qualified to operate your machine) and rules about 'malicious'
behavior (when operating your machine); were you as opposed to those
as you seem to be now where attempts to deal with spam are concerned?
PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: New Technology Poses 911 Peril VOIP Not Part of Emergency"
Go to Previous message: news01@jmatt.net: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Getting Serious About the War on Spam"