TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
20 Apr 2005 09:33:25 -0400

> Robert Bonomi wrote:

>> Nope. it's because it is, quite simply, *NOT* ICANN's job to do so.

>> Of the various organizations (ICANN, IAB, IETF, etc.) that are the
>> 'authority' for specific functionalities of the greater Internet,
>> _none_ of them have any authority with regard to the 'content' of
>> packets.

> Well then, who IS responsible to do the job? If no such job
> exists, why isn't one created?

Individual ISPs are responsible.

The notion here is that we're all supposed to be a community. If an
ISP is doing something you don't like, you don't have to peer with
them or accept their traffic. If they are doing something nobody
likes, nobody has to peer with them or accept their traffic.

For years this worked very well. But now large amounts of the main
backbone are run by a small number of companies who don't really care
about the net or about anything other than short-term profits.

--scott

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thank you very much, Scott. Your last
paragraph said it well. That's why I have requested before and will
request again of John Levine do not peer me with MCI or anyone else
on the Spamhaus list. Send them away. And 'main backbone, small number
of companies who do not care about anything other than short term
profits'. That is the reason I refer to Vint Cerf as a traitor. He
knew damn good and well what he was doing when he sold the rest of us
down the river. PAT]

Go to Next message: news01@jmatt.net: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Getting Serious About the War on Spam"