TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines

Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines

jmeissen@aracnet.com
20 Apr 2005 07:51:57 GMT

In article <telecom24.173.9@telecom-digest.org>, Pat wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I guess not everyone takes the trouble,
> as I do, to automatically run Grisoft AVG in the early morning hours
> on my machines, and Ad Aware and Spybot Smash and Destroy once per
> week or so. PAT]

The reality is actually quite depressing. What I've experienced
personally is that the majority of users don't care. As long as they
can surf the 'net and do email/IM they're happy. It used to be the
case that the load from viruses and spyware was enough to drag a
system to its knees, but with 3+ Ghz systems they often hardly notice
it. I've actually had people criticize me for "messing with their
system" when I offered to help clean up and patch up their Windows
boxes (which had never received any security updates, were running
expired antivirus software, and were directly connected to cable
modems).

John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Yeah, but you see, perhaps I am an
atypical user in that way. I have to work from here at home, and
spend a few hours each day on my web sites, most often as not the
Digest. I prefer to leave the cable connection up 24/7 since things
like my weather station relies on it. My computers are all old,
shabby, cranky things which work at very slow CPU speed, and I just
cannot afford the time required to constantly clean out viruses and
erase spam. I've got to have those automated virus checking/smashing/
destroying programs on hand and running daily. PAT]

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "VCs Target Mobile Phone Tech Companies"
May be in reply to: Greg Skinner: "PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines"