TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines

Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
19 Apr 2005 16:25:27 -0400

In article <telecom24.172.5@telecom-digest.org>. TELECOM Digest Editor
noted in response to Greg Skinner <gds@best.com>:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As for myself, I cannot really picture
>> 'five hundred thousand zombie computers scattered across three
>> continents'. If so, under whose coordination? A gang of crackers all
>> working in concert to cheat some advertiser's competitor, by running
>> up his advertising bill? Seems sort of improbable to me. PAT]

> It's not so hard to imagine if you consider the way viruses are spread
> to launch spam, DDoS attacks, etc. The virus authors or cracker-gangs
> aren't necessarily working to cheat competitors; they're just being
> disruptive.

Five thousand zombie computers scattered across three continents?
We call that Roadrunner.

--scott

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Five _hundred_ thousand, not five
thousand. PAT]

Go to Next message: Greg Skinner: "Re: PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Build UHF/VHF Tuners Into Cell Phones"
May be in reply to: Greg Skinner: "PPC Advertising, Click Fraud, and Its Effect on Search Engines"