TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:19:06 EDT

In a message dated Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:06:07 -0400, curious@nospam.com
writes:

> I recently bought a cordless phone, which came with a NiCd battery.
> In the manual it says:

> "To reduce the risk of fire, use only 3.6V 850mAh Nickel Cadmium
> (Ni-Cad) cordless telephone replacement battery pack."

> I've heard about the dreaded "memory effect" with NiCd batteries, so
> I'm interested in replacing it with a NiMH one. Someone who is
> selling a 3.6V 1000mAH NiMH battery on Ebay claims it works with my
> phone, but will it really be safe? Wouldn't want to install a NiMH
> battery and have the house burn down.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: 3.6 at 850 is _close enough_ to 3.6 at
> 1000 that I think it should work. The difficulty with swapping
> batteries around randomly however is not so much that your house would
> burn down as it is that differences in those batteries could possibly
> cause some slow degredation on your electronics unit and cause it to
> fry out prematurely. Your voltage (3.6) is critical; you want to avoid
> increasing _low voltages_ very much. A device which calls for 3.6
> should pretty much be confined to 3.6. You can play around with the
> amperage a bit however; 1000 will work fine with something rated for
> 850. But make certain the battery contacts line up correctly and do
> not cause a short circuit accidentally. It would be a shame to waste
> that new battery as soon as you got it. PAT]

Many places sell batteries for cordless phones and have cross-reference
guides by model number, also by size, shape, voltage and type of
connector used.

The battery packages have a list of cordless phone model numbers they
are designed for. Wal-Mart carries a pretty extensive line of
cordless phone batteries at competitive prices, probably not much more
than the shipping costs charged by an eBay seller.. The ones I have
seen in Wal-Mart are GE/Sanyo brand. I have also seen cordless phone
batteries in many other places; Walgreen's for one, I believe.

Make sure the connector matches.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?"
May be in reply to: curious@nospam.com: "Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?"