TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Texting is Slower Than Morse

Re: Texting is Slower Than Morse

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:18:11 -0400

In article <telecom24.168.6@telecom-digest.org>, ihatespam@crazyhat.net
says:

> In message <telecom24.164.6@telecom-digest.org> Colin
> <colin@sutton.wow.aust.com> wrote:

>> The Sydney Morning Herald reports on a challenge between 93 year old
>> telegraph operator transmitting morse code to an 82 year old with a
>> manual typewriter, and youngsters sending a text message. The text
>> message was received 18 seconds after the message was already on
>> paper.

>> http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/14/1113251739401.html

> Sure, but much of that 18 seconds was in network transmission time,
> but the telegraph has a (by comparison) severely limited "network"

> Let's try another test; let's send the same message to each of five
> different recipients randomly selected out of a possible thousand
> recipients, then travel to a randomly selected location within two
> city blocks and send a new message to those five people again.

> Anybody want to bet that by the time the telegraph operator gets his
> system reconnected to send to the second recipient, the phone user
> will have finished walking to the randomly selected location (sending
> the first batch of five messages while walking?)

> In message <telecom24.167.15@telecom-digest.org> Tony P.
> <kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net> wrote:

>> They've obviously not heard of T9 mode in text messaging. The biggest
>> issue I have with texting is that the keypad is too damned small.

> How large a phone are you willing to carry?

Something with a keypad approximately the size of the one found on a
WE 2500 set.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Texting is Slower Than Morse"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "Packet8 Imposes $1.50 Regulatory Recovery Fee - Chance to Cancel"
May be in reply to: Colin: "Texting is Slower Than Morse"