TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?

Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
12 Apr 2005 10:44:33 -0700

curious@nospam.com wrote:

> I just got a 900 MHz DSS cordless phone..
> that the manual says that the base unit must be placed away from all
> electronic equipment...

All I know is that when anyone talks to me over their cordless phone,
there is loud annoying "buzzing" interference when they take their
phone too close to any power source. Even holding the phone near a
lamp or light switch gets noise.

My recommendation is to comply with the manufacturer's directives for
best operation. Understandably, that is cumbersome in today's complex
world where we have electronis everywhere, even in doorbells.

I'll let other electronic wizards explain the technical details, but
my own _guess_ is that modern electronics are so small, light, and
sensitive (using very low currents), that they become very sensitive
to more power "stray" signals from other sources, especially older
electronics that use more powerful internal currents. To keep the
cost down of consumer products, there is no shielding.

I know of a hobbyist who has built extensive equipment in his garage.
He took a lightning strike. His newest modern-day components were
fried, but his old heavy-duty components weren't damaged at all.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?"
Go to Previous message: GlowingBlueMist: "Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?"
May be in reply to: Alan Burkitt-Gray: "Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?"