TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

Dale Farmer (dale@cybercom.net)
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:35:10 GMT

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> In article <telecom24.146.5@telecom-digest.org>, John McHarry
> <jmcharry@comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:45:51 -0700, Lisa Minter wrote:

>>> Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

>>> Four churches in Mexico have unobtrusively installed Israeli-made
>>> cell-phone jammers to thwart those who don't seem to understand they
>>> should turn the things off during services or weddings. They're not
>>> the only ones to install the jammers.

>> This is kind of old news. Jammers are illegal in the US, but if I were
>> building or extensively remodeling a theatre, church, etc., I would
>> make it into a Faraday cage. Done right, it is also good insulation.

> Really? I'd be interested to know what the current state of the art
> for "done right" is in this area. I saw such a room constructed once,
> about 10-15 years ago: it had "wallpaper" with a conductive grid
> printed on the back, and long strips of copper tape running up each
> corner of the room to ensure that all the sides were shorted together.
> There was chicken-wire-like mesh in the ceiling (this made running
> cables a real pain!) and I'm not sure what was in the floor. But I
> wouldn't call anything I saw there particularly good thermal
> insulation.

> I've always figured this must just be how it's done. Is there some
> other method?

That's one way. For new construction, embed the grounded mesh inside
the walls ceiling and floor so it is less easy to damage. Size of the
mesh is dictated by what wavelengths you want to stop.

--Dale

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "MCI Rejects Qwest's Offer For Third Time"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page