TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Every Ten Days

Re: Every Ten Days

Wesrock@aol.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:58:25 EST

In a message dated Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:00:28 -0600, Dave Garland
<dave.garland@wizinfo.com> writes:

> It was a dark and stormy night when Choreboy
> <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:

>> March 9, somebody from 877 467 3277 called. I answered on the second
>> ring and they hung up. They did it again March 19 and March 29.

> Large telemarketing operations sometimes use dialers that call
> numbers, and when there is an answer shunt the call to an available
> human telemarketer. If all the telemarketers are busy (on the phone,
> on break, whatever), you get a few seconds of dead air, then it hangs
> up.

> This is an efficient use of the (probably minimum-wage) telemarketers,
> as they don't waste time dialing, waiting while it rings, getting
> answering machines, etc. The efficiency, of course, comes at the
> expense of the victims like you.

This has been going on for quite a few years, and generated so many
complaints that the Oklahoma Legislature passed a law forbidding the
practice.

It has, of course, been no more effective than laws or regulations
calling with only a recorded message.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Dave Close: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Cell Phone Compatibility"
May be in reply to: Choreboy: "Every Ten Days"