TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Every Ten Days

Re: Every Ten Days

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:00:28 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when Choreboy
<choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:

> March 9, somebody from 877 467 3277 called. I answered on the second
> ring and they hung up. They did it again March 19 and March 29.

Large telemarketing operations sometimes use dialers that call
numbers, and when there is an answer shunt the call to an available
human telemarketer. If all the telemarketers are busy (on the phone,
on break, whatever), you get a few seconds of dead air, then it hangs
up.

This is an efficient use of the (probably minimum-wage) telemarketers,
as they don't waste time dialing, waiting while it rings, getting
answering machines, etc. The efficiency, of course, comes at the
expense of the victims like you.

Go to Next message: Choreboy: "Re: Every Ten Days"
Go to Previous message: Jason: "Re: GSM-900"
May be in reply to: Choreboy: "Every Ten Days"