TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Science and Society: Anatomy of a Techno-Myth -- Economist.com

Re: Science and Society: Anatomy of a Techno-Myth -- Economist.com

Thomas A. Horsley (tom.horsley@att.net)
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:40:11 GMT

> I don't think the scare of using cell phones while pumping gas ever
> got too far. It'd be a very easy thing to check -- what were the
> causes of gas station fires and technically could a cell phone cause
> that? As an all-electronic device, cell phones normally don't
> generate sparks.

There is certainly no evidence that cellphones can start gas station
fires (and a lot of evidence against it from MythBusters episodes to
research by the peteroleum safety institute), nevertheless every gas
station I go to has an official looking sign near the pumps telling
you not to use cellphones :-).

-- >>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/>
>>==+ email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics
<<==+

Go to Next message: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Science and Society: Anatomy of a Techno-Myth -- Economist.com"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Science and Society: Anatomy of a Techno-Myth -- Economist.com"