TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:04:06 -0500

In article <telecom24.130.20@telecom-digest.org>, bonomi@host122.r-
bonomi.com says:

> In article <telecom24.129.7@telecom-digest.org>,
> Dan Lanciani <ddl@danlan.com> wrote:

>> kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net (Tony P.) wrote:

>>> Sort of how the FCC has pretty much admitted that anyone with a
>>> modicum of technical knowledge will be able to defeat the broadcast
>>> flag.

>> I think you've mentioned this before, but what does it mean? The
>> system as originally conceived requires the digital representation of
>> flagged content to be protected by encryption on bus and media. I
>> have more than a modicum of technical knowledge and I don't see an
>> easy way around the proposed system in concept. Has the original
>> system been abandoned? Or are you aware of some implementation flaw?

> *Somewhere* in the TV set, the signal has to get decrypted, before it
> can be presented to the CRT, or other actual 'display'.

> Thus there *is* a "cleartext" signal running around inside the box.

> Thus, someone with a reasonable amount of skill can 'tap' the cleartext
> signal, and "voila!"

> And there's always the "idiot method" -- just point a camcorder at the TV.

Thank you for that. Of course it runs clear somewhere in the set -- all
you need to do is tap that signal.

Funny you mention the camcorder. A coworker and I are geeks to the nth
and considered that the only thing they can never stop.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Texas Sues Vonage Over 911 Problem"
May be in reply to: davisdynasty83: "What Happened To Channel 1"