TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Alan Burkitt-Gray (ABurkitt@EUROMONEYPLC.COM)
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:39:58 -0000

Paul Coxwell paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> In Britain, the original FM broadcast band ran only from 88 to
> 100MHz. The band above 100MHz was used for two-way radio, a fact
> soon discovered by even the casual listener when imported radios
> covering right up to 108MHz started to appear in the country.

Even better, it was used by the police. I remember around 1969
listening to a car chase through the territory of various police
forces in northern England, where I then lived -- picking up
transmissions from different forces on different channels. The police
had to move off -- I think it was done in two stages -- before
broadcasters could take over the band. Earlier on, many FM radios
designed by UK manufacturers such as Roberts wouldn't go higher than
100 MHz.

Alan Burkitt-Gray, Editor, Global Telecoms Business

<http://www.globaltelecomsbusiness.com/>
http://www.globaltelecomsbusiness.com
email <mailto:aburkitt@euromoneyplc.com> aburkitt@euromoneyplc.com;
Global Telecoms Business Top 5 Daily: email me to get on the distribution
list for this free newsletter.

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: What Happened To Channel 1"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?"
May be in reply to: davisdynasty83: "What Happened To Channel 1"