TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 3 Verizon Phones - Throw Away or What?

Re: 3 Verizon Phones - Throw Away or What?

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:49:44 -0800

Paintblot wrote:

> I'm permanently leaving the USA in a few weeks. I have a Verizon
> account with 3 telephones, 2 of which are almost new. These phones
> have 2 year contracts. When we leave, what should I do? I cannot take
> them back to Verizon, because all they'll want is the big dollar
> contract buyout, which I won't pay (let them attack my credit, who
> cares, I'm not coming back here). Sell the phones? Aren't they banned
> from continuing to work on the Verizon network, and locked into the
> Verizon network? Just destroy them and throw them away?

Not locked to Verizon, unless they're prepay phones, but they may be
blacklisted from use on Verizon's network if you have no intention of
paying the bill.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: My personal advice, for whatever it is
> worth, is sell them for a few dollars each and get what you can out of
> them. If you know anyone you can generally trust, sell them a phone
> (for ten or twenty dollars?) with the understanding that _they_ can
> continue to pay the bill for the remainder of the contract (or until
> they get tired of paying the bill and/or the phone gets turned off,
> whichever comes first. PAT]

The buyer has to be willing to take financial responsibility for the
account and has to pass Verizon's credit checks, etc., and fill out a
form accepting financial responsibility for that to happen.

What *I* am curious about is why Paintblot is refusing to pay the early
termination fees.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The buyer of the phone sends in his
payment each month under Paintblot's name. Then, no credit check, etc
because at that point all the carrier cares about is getting the
money. Paintblot already passed their credit check, and as he noted,
he does not care what happens to his credit standing. PAT]

Go to Next message: David: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
Go to Previous message: Mark Crispin: "Re: 3 Verizon Phones - Throw Away or What?"
May be in reply to: Paintblot: "3 Verizon Phones - Throw Away or What?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page