TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How to Make Skype Wireless ?

Re: How to Make Skype Wireless ?

Philip LeNir (phil@summitcircle.com)
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:36:11 PST

John,

I have not actually found any products that can be purchased right now
... however ... I've noticed a series of press releases that indicate
a variety of companies are headed in this direction and that Skype is
organizing partnerships that will make it attractive for Hardware
vendors to produce these types of devices.

I certainly believe that Skype is creating a business ecosystem around
itself, and as such provide value for its customers that it could not
do on its own.

Title: "Skype alights on Broadreach hotspots"
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/70029/skype-alights-on-broadreach-hotspots.html

"Anyone with a wireless-ready device can now use Broadreach hotspots
for free to make Skype voice calls, which are also free.

What's the catch? There isn't one. Broadreach has configured its
hotspots to recognise the Skype protocol and allow that traffic to
connect. Any of the Skype services - eg instant messaging - can be
used in this way."

My opinion: This makes a Skype enabled WiFi phone more attractive to
users. It also sets a precedent that wireless providers cannot be
happy with... it is completely free...you do not have to pay the WiFi
provider any money what so ever to make wireless calls to anywhere in
the world (assuming the callee has Skype.. otherwise 2 cents per
minute with SkypeOut). See related article below regarding Motorola's
acquisition of MeshNetworks.

Title: "i-mate & Skype form global partnership"
http://www.skype.com/company/news/2005/imate.html

"Newly manufactured i-mate PDA2K and i-mate PDA2 handsets will
be produced with Skype's award-winning software preloaded, enabling
i-mate owners to use Skype immediately on start-up of their
device. Both handsets are dual mode GSM/GPRS Wifi handsets that, with
Skype included, allow users to make free, superior quality voice calls
wherever they are worldwide."

My opinion: I haven't had a chance to read too deeply into this, but I
figure it will probably work over a home area WiFI network.

Title: "Motorola launches Skype alliance"
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/wireless/0,39020348,39187936,00.htm

"The handset manufacturer is developing Wi-Fi compatible mobiles, and
will bundle popular VoIP application Skype with the planned devices"

My opinion: I think that Motorola is covering its bases and making a
wise bet on the future.

Title: "Motorola Extends Broadband Wireless Technology
Portfolio with Acquisition of MeshNetworks"
http://www.motorola.com.cn/en/news/2005/01/0202_01.asp

Title: "Motorola Mesh Networks Solution Transforms The
Way Minnesota Town Communicates"
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050228/cgm031_1.html

My opinion: I don't think it will take Motorola long to combine the
technology they got with MeshNetworks, Skype enabled WiFi phones, as
well as the various pushes to completely WiFi enabled entire cities
(as a public service ... Philadelphia, San Franscisco, Taipei are three
examples I know of) and thus threaten Cell phone providers.

Philip.

Find a Skype phone, Skype add-on or Skype community
at http://www.summitcircle.com/

--- John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

>> There are plenty of companies that sell phones made specifically for
>> Skype. Some of these phones are wireless. One of the more popular ones
>> that I have noticed can be found at http://www.dualphone.net/

> These all seem to be phones that have a base unit plug into your
> computer's USB port, and handsets that talk to that base unit.

> Has anyone seen (or even heard rumors of) a usable WiFi phone for
> Skype that talks to your LAN rather than to a proprietary base? Zyxel
> makes a phone for normal SIP but it doesn't seem to be compatible with
> Skype.

> Regards,

> John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886
> +1 607 330 5711
> johnl@iecc.com, Mayor, http://johnlevine.com,
> Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against
> Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: Wiring Two Lines on One Jack"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: How to Make Skype Wireless ?"
May be in reply to: tinaspeilberg1@yahoo.com: "How to Make Skype Wireless ?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page