TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Draytek Router Problem - Class C Address Only on LAN Interface?

Draytek Router Problem - Class C Address Only on LAN Interface?

paulfoel (BertieBigBollox@gmail.com)
10 Mar 2005 06:31:53 -0800

Now this is really weird ...

Set up network Draytek 2600+ as ADSL router connecting to broadband.
Local LAN port was given the address of 10.0.0.254 with a netmask of
255.255.0.0.

This is because we have all the DHCP stuff on 10.0.1.x, servers on
10.0.2.x, printers on 10.0.3.x etc. Should work, yeh ?

Trouble is if you pinged say 10.0.2.10 from the Draytek you got 50%
packet loss ...

Speaking to Draytek it seems they only support class C addresses on
the LAN port. It totally ignores the first three octets and only looks
at the last ...

So, if we've got a server 10.0.2.10, and a DHCP allocated PC with
10.0.1.10 the router gets confused when trying to ping 10.0.2.10
because it only looks at the last .10.

Got round it by changed the DHCP range to start at 50 (there are less
than 50 servers etc) to make sure the last octet is unique on the lan.

Pretty disappointed with the draytek router. We tried a cheap netgear
router and this handled the subnets fine ...

Any comments ???

Go to Next message: Michael Muderick: "Long Distance Carrier Verification"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "BT Strikes Long-term Network Deal With Reuters"
May be reply: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Draytek Router Problem - Class C Address Only on LAN Interface?"
May be reply: paulfoel: "Re: Draytek Router Problem - Class C Address Only on LAN Interface?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page