TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Strange Call ID

Re: Strange Call ID

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:17:43 -0800

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Spyros Bartsocas wrote:

> I live in Greece. I received a call from my cousin in NY. On my caller
> Id his number appeared as 0044212xxxxxxx (where the x's show his
> actual 212 area code POTS number.
> How is this possible?

I have occasionally received international calls with caller ID on a cell
phone, and once or twice I've seen a country code as a caller ID on a
landline phone.

So clearly it is possible. It seems thought that most US landline caller
ID boxes assume that all numbers are in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Has anyone received a phone call from
someone calling via Vonage recently? My caller ID (on those calls)
shows the number, but identifies the caller as 'Vonage User'. PAT]

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Strange Call ID"
May be in reply to: Spyros Bartsocas: "Strange Call ID"