TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'

Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman (joel@exc.com)
Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:55:37 GMT

> Yes Pat, but it didn't do it on the basis of the 1st Amendment. As I
> understand it, the fine was to preserve "Net Freedom" (Powell's term)
> and although I like it, I still don't understand the legal basis for
> this action. It seems to me the Telco's ought to be concerned about
> this because if there is now a "must carry" rule for VoIP traffic, what
> happens when they start to offer TV/video? Will they be forced to allow

In the end, the only reason VoIP is so cheap is that it passes the
costs off to other sectors. Personally, I have seen the quality of my
phone service plummet in the past ten years, and I'd be willing to pay
a little more to get my good service back. I don't want to pay a
little less, get even worse service, and on top of it end up paying
more for basic Internet. But that's where VoIP is leading.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

Go to Next message: Dana: "Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage"
May be in reply to: Charles Cryderman: "Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'"