TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?

Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?

Phil McKerracher (phil@mckerracher.org)
Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:24:39 GMT

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:59:30 -0500, Ted Koppel <tkoppel@adelphia.net>
> wrote:

>> My new Nokia 6010 has an interesting and somewhat annoying habit. If
>> it's anywhere within a 5 foot radius of my PC speakers, I can hear it
>> periodically transmitting something (sort of a rhythmic
>> dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum). Sounds like static, but definitely
>> with a paced rhythm. I haven't timed the intervals exactly, but it
>> seems to take place every 17-20 minutes. In a related activity, I
>> hear a big burst of static on my PC speakers, and then some rhythmic
>> noise, about 5-7 seconds before the cell phone begins to ring.

>> This is the first cell phone I've had that caused these noises. Do I
>> have a mutant phone? Is this anything to be concerned about?

> It's not just the Nokia 6010. *Any* GSM will exhibit the
> characteristics you refer to. It's the phone communicating with the
> system periodically...

True. I was told by a contact at ETSI (the organisation that defined
many of the GSM standards) that this was originally an oversight --
they had not realised that the modulation scheme was effectively 100%
amplitude modulation, which would be "detected" by any rectifying
circuit nearby. It caused a lot of consternation in the early days.

The "solution" they eventually agreed was to reduce the power
transmitted by the phones by a factor of 10. This had been proposed
anyway, to reduce the cell size and hence increase system capacity
(also to increase battery life).

Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Go to Next message: Mark Atwood: "Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "It's Degrading: VoIP Firms Urge More FCC Action"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page