TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill

Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill

Rich Greenberg (richgr@panix.com)
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:39:12 +0000 (UTC)

>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48753-2005Feb23.html

>>> By Caroline E. Mayer

>>> Yes, I thought your liability from a 'stolen' card (which this
>>> is) was $50.00?

>> Only if you notify them within 24 or 48 hours. She didn't notify them for
>> weeks, until the bill came in.

> What was she thinking? She should have known that someone stole her
> identity BEFORE the bill came in.

> Oh, maybe she wasn't a psychic afer all ...

Part of the problem was that someone claiming to be her sister called
MBNA and changed the address, so the statements never arrived. True,
this SHOULD have set off an alarm, but ...

The last time I changed the billing address for a CC, they sent a letter
to BOTH addresses confirming it. Of course as I had already moved, the
one to the old address was forwarded to the new address ...

Atlanta Siberian Husky Rescue. www.panix.com/~richgr/Asst Owner:Sibernet-L

Go to Next message: Dave VanHorn: "Re: Ring Tone Surprise"
Go to Previous message: Fritz Whittington: "Re: Shut The Cell Up New York Post Online Edition: news"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill"