TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Advice on One Call in SS7 Versus Two Calls in VoIP

Advice on One Call in SS7 Versus Two Calls in VoIP

wflanagan5@comcast.net
25 Feb 2005 09:34:47 -0800

Hi. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I am working with a
firm that has a "call forwarding" service that they want to start.
The service application is written on top of VoIP and SIP. What they
would like to do is register a number of DIDs that they will provide
to their subscribers. When the DID is called, they will forward the
call to the user's "real" phone number based on a number of factors,
time of day, etc.

The issue that I'm running into is this. In VoIP, this looks like 2
calls to the service providers that we're talking with. They want to
charge us for the DIDs, the inbound call, and the outbound call. I
know in SS7/ISUP you could do a call forward, and this would remain 1
call -- not 2 calls.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get around
this? Paying 2 call charges plus the DID for ALL CALLS is going to
kill the business model.

Thanks,

William

Go to Next message: Eric Friedebach: "Toll-Free Number Pointed to Sprint PCS Handset"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "More Plea Deals in Bklyn Mafia/Telco Case"
May be reply: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Advice on One Call in SS7 Versus Two Calls in VoIP"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page