TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telemarketing?

Re: Telemarketing?

BobGoudreau@Withheld
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:14:00 -0500

[As always, please obscure my email address in the message header and
in the Digest ToC]

Choreboy <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:

> I often encounter websites that ask my date of birth without good
> reason=2E I alter it because I've heard it can be useful to criminals
> (even if the organization is reputable, such as a newspaper). That's
> why it concerns me that unidentified people asked my aunt's date of
> birth in peculiar circumstances.

If it truly was Marlboro calling (and not someone lying about their
company affiliation), then they really would have a good reason for
asking for a potential customer's birthdate. Cigarette companies are
legally prohibi ted from marketing to minors, even when it comes to
giveaways of non-tobacco items Verifying that a respondent to a
promotion is of legal age befor e proceeding further is not
unreasonable.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Telemarketing?"
Go to Previous message: Jim Haynes: "Re: A Telecom Capital No Longer"
May be in reply to: Choreboy: "Telemarketing?"