TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Simplifying Web Checkouts

Re: Simplifying Web Checkouts

ranck@vt.edu
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:15:16 UTC

Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> By BOB TEDESCHI

> FOR many e-commerce sites, the shopping cart is where transactions go
> to die.

> About half of prospective customers bail out of their purchases
> sometime after selecting products and before hitting the buy button,

> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/14/technology/14ecom.html?ex=1266037200&en=2e977cb22a040daa&ei=5090

Well, I went and read the rest of the article and never did it mention
the main reason I usually drop shopping cart transactions part way
through. In a lot of these on-line shops the only way to find out
their shipping charge is to get the item into the shopping cart. I
comparison shop and that includes shipping costs. Some sites have
clearly wised up on this and do state shipping costs up front, or at
least give you a way to find them without loading an item into their
cart. Web business is an ongoing learning process for the merchants
and the customers.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "At Least 700 Have Identities Stolen"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: ADSL and SDSL?"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Simplifying Web Checkouts"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page