TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

Jack Decker (jack-yahoogroups@withheld)
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:42:22 -0500

I hope the FCC will act swiftly to nip this in the bud -- ISP's have
no more business blocking customers' access to certain VoIP providers
than they do blocking access to competitors' web sites. I mean, just
as a hypothetical, suppose that Comcast or Charter took it upon
themselves to block customer access to SBC or Verizon web sites
because they didn't want you to read about the DSL offerings from
those companies? Soon we'd be back to the bad old days of walls
between providers (think Compuserve and the original AOL). At the
heart of it, VoIP is just data, and once you allow companies to start
blocking certain types of data based on content or destination you are
going down a very slippery slope. And before anyone mentions it,
e-mail is a special case because of the spam problem, and even with
e-mail there are ways to tunnel around an ISP's port 25 block if you
have legitimate access to another mail server.

Not concerned yet? Well consider this -- suppose your web page was
hosted on a particular ISP, and suddenly one of the large ISPs took a
notion to start blocking access to web sites hosted on selected
competitive ISPs. Of course, their solution would be to open an
account with them and move your web site to their servers. Now what
happens when two or more ISPs do this? Pretty soon the entire
Internet as we know it falls apart, and I don't think I'm being overly
dramatic in saying that -- I have seen just too many examples of
corporate greed destroying the good things of life to think that it
could not happen that way.

http://www.advancedippipeline.com/news/60400413

February 14, 2005
Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

Company has complained to the FCC that competing service providers are
"blocking" its Voice over IP service.

By Paul Kapustka Advanced IP Pipeline

BOULDER, Colo. -- Leading Voice over IP service provider Vonage
Holdings has complained to the Federal Communications Commission that
competitors are blocking the use of its service, according to FCC
staffers and others close to the company.

In a speech during Sunday's Silicon Flatirons conference here,
Stanford law professor Larry Lessing said that Vonage has been telling
the FCC that other service providers are hampering Vonage's VoIP
service by "blocking" it from reaching certain SIP addresses for
end-user devices. Reports of other providers using networking
techniques to block competitors' VoIP services have surfaced before,
but none have involved Vonage or major U.S. service providers.

Robert Pepper, the FCC's chief of policy development, was at the
Silicon Flatirons conference and confirmed that Vonage had complained
to the FCC about blocking issues, but did not comment further. Brooke
Schulz, Vonage's senior vice president for corporate communications,
said Monday that the company would not comment on the report.

Full story at:
http://www.advancedippipeline.com/news/60400413

Go to Next message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Verizon to Buy MCI"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "Powell Rips FCC Delay on Connection Fee Reform"
May be reply: Paul Timmins: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
May be reply: Tim Keating: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page