TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Satellite Radio Authorization: How Does it Work?

Re: Satellite Radio Authorization: How Does it Work?

Tim@Backhome.org
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:16:02 -0800

I suspect most of the folks who use this forum are not interested in trying
to cheat XM or Sirius.

AES wrote:

> Pointers to info on how XM and Sirius systems work, specifically as
> regards authorization?

> When a satellite authorizes a given radio, does it do it by sending
> that radio (and, as a side effect, all other radios) some kind of
> digital key that combines with some unique built-in matching key in
> that particular radio to enable it to decode the broadcast content?

> If so, presumably if you stop paying your bill it can also deauthorize
> your radio by sending something to wipe out the code?

> But suppose you put your radio in a shielded box, stop paying, wait a
> few months until they give up trying to deauthorize you, then bring it
> back out -- are you still authorized? Or does every authorized radio
> have to get reauthorized at some periodic interval?

> Bottom line: Do individual radios actually talk back to the satellites
> at any point? Or do authorization and other command signals flow only
> from the satellites to the radio?

> (Not looking to play any games here -- just interested to understand
> how it works.)

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: An interesting problem, and one that
> the gas company deals with a lot in older inner city areas, which is
> gradually getting cured. Many years ago, gas was delivered in underground
> pipes (it still is), but as a matter of economics the gas company used
> a lot of 'branch lines' off the main feed. For example, there are two
> dwellings on a piece of land, one sort of behind the other one. Gas
> company runs a pipe which attaches to one meter, then the pipe
> 'branches' off and runs to the second meter. First meter owner gets
> delinquent in paying his gas bill, and refuses to allow access to his
> basement for the purpose of cutting off his service. Gas company keeps
> telling the man "let us in your basement so we can lock off your
> meter." Man refuses to do so, assuming there is no way for gas company
> to cut his service if they can't get in his basement. What the gas
> company will do is get a permit from the city to excavate in the street
> and cut him off at that point. The only trouble is, the person on the
> other end of the property, with his own meter, which is in good standing,
> winds up getting cut also.

> Needless to say, that man (second meter) raises plenty of hell, and
> demands his gas service back. Gas company claims it was an accident,
> and they will turn him back on ASAP, but there is one big problem with
> natural gas which does not apply with other utilities; before they can
> turn him back on (with the consequential lighting of his pilot lights
> to prevent explosions, etc, now they *absolutely must* get the other
> guy's pilot light relighted as well (or in actual practice cut his
> meter) to avoid possible explosions at that end. So they turn one
> neighbor against the other one, telling second meter, "Gee, we would
> love to restore *your* service but we can't get into first meter and
> [...]

Go to Next message: LonnyPaul: "Re: Cell Phone Lockdown"
Go to Previous message: Ron Chapman: "Re: Satellite Radio Authorization: How Does it Work?"
May be in reply to: AES: "Satellite Radio Authorization: How Does it Work?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page