TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why Do Cell Phone Conversations Interfere With Driving?

Re: Why Do Cell Phone Conversations Interfere With Driving?

David Clayton (dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com)
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:50:05 +1100

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:49 -0500, Monty Solomon wrote:

> David L. Strayer, Frank A. Drews, Dennis J. Crouch,
> and William A. Johnston
> Department of Psychology University of Utah

> To Appear In W. R. Walker and D. Herrmann (Eds.)
> Cognitive Technology: Transforming Thought and Society.
> McFarland & Company Inc., Jefferson, NC.
> Why Do Cell Phone Conversations Interfere With Driving?
> There is good reason to believe that some of these
> new multi-tasking activities may be substantially more distracting
> than the old standards because they are more cognitively engaging and
> because they are performed over longer periods of time.

Ahh, is this the old mental "cpu cycle" availability issue?

It looks like with all the new "applications" we are introducing, we
may need upgrades to our "wetware" to keep up? :-)

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
(Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you
down to their level then beat you with experience.

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Why Do Cell Phone Conversations Interfere With Driving?"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Old vs. New Doctors -- Communication and Technology"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Why Do Cell Phone Conversations Interfere With Driving?"