TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements

Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
9 Feb 2005 18:43:29 -0500

Lisa Hancock <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response:

>> She said the old biddies on the party line would set the phone in a
>> galvanized laundry tub, so even if they were sitting out on the
>> front porch on a hot summer night, they would all hear that
>> (amplified by the galvanized tub) 'tick sound', and the front-porch
>> ladies would quietly slip inside and try to listen/spy on the
>> neighbor who had received the phone call, to find out who had called
>> and what they were talking about. PAT]

> From time to time people say "back in the good old days people were
> nicer, more respectful, etc." The above example -- which was very
> common -- shows this wasn't always the case.

Well, I for one, know that I'd be a lot nicer and more respectful if
half the town was listening in on MY phone.

scott

--

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "Browser Feature Could Make Scams Easier"